PAHO seeks a candidate to support its Health Emergency Information & Risk Assessment Unit for 8 months to work remotely on data collection, verification, database management, data analysis, and risk assessment with a focus on the COVID-19 pandemic.
Objectives of the Department
The objective of the Health Emergencies Department (PHE) of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) is to increase health sector resilience to emergencies and disasters. PHE assists Member States to strengthen the health sector’s capacities in prevention, risk reduction, preparedness, surveillance, response, and early recovery for emergencies and disasters related to any hazards (natural, man-made, biological, chemical, radiological and others) and, when national capacities are overwhelmed, to lead and coordinate the international health response to contain disasters, including outbreaks, and to provide effective relief and recovery to affected populations. PHE is responsible for ensuring the implementation and updating of the PAHO/WHO Institutional Emergency and Disaster Response Policy.
Objective of the Unit
Within PHE, the Health Emergency Information & Risk Assessment (HIM) Unit focuses on data collection, verification, database management, data analysis and risk assessment. The information gathered through HIM helps in PHE’s response to natural disaster events and epidemic disease events of potential public health concern. Currently, the HIM Unit focuses its efforts in providing the most accurate data and analysis regarding the COVID-19 pandemic specifically focusing on the Americas.
Under the general supervision of the PHE Deputy Director and IMST Incident Manager and direct supervision of the Advisor, Data Management, Analytics & Products, the incumbent is responsible for, but not limited to, the following assigned duties:
- Contribute to the daily COVID-19 data collection and data entry of cases and tables as requested;
- Contribute to the elaboration of situation reports as requested;
- Assist in COVID-19 data management and data entry (MIS-C, variants, ESAVI, or other specific topics as requested);
- Participate in the collection, verification, and analysis of data on the occurrence of outbreaks and other important events pursuant to the requirements of the revised International Health Regulations (IHR);
- Assist in program activities related to detection, verification, and risk assessment as needed;
- Contribute to Event Management System (EMS) data entry and uploads of relevant information and reports;
- Perform COVID-19 epidemiological analysis as requested;
- Support the mapping team in managing the regional database to produce COVID-19 maps as requested;
- Participate and contribute to weekly and daily epidemiological meetings regarding COVID-19 data;
- Provide training to incoming team members in the EMS and other relevant HIM tools and platforms;
- Review and compile information through the Epidemic Intelligence from Open Sources (EIOS) platform and other sources on natural disasters in the Region of the Americas and draft assessment reports and other preliminary information on the initial situation and impact on the health sector;
- Collaborate with other initiatives related to COVID-19 as requested;
- Perform other duties as requested.
Education requirements (Qualifications)
Essential: A bachelor’s degree in epidemiology, demography, statistics, health sciences, or a related discipline that includes quantitative methods.
Desirable: A master’s degree in epidemiology, public health, or related discipline would be an asset.
Essential: Three years of combined national and/or international experience in data analysis and databases management.
Essential: Very good knowledge of English.
Asset: A working knowledge of Spanish, French, and/or Portuguese would be an asset.
The incumbent will be expected to perform this position’s duties and responsibilities remotely.
Expected contract duration
8 Months: Through 31 December 2022 with the possibility for extension subject to performance and funding. This consultancy is expected to entail a full-time commitment.
The application must include:
- Cover letter and most up to date CV
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and most up-to-date CV which reflects work experience related to these terms of reference by 23:59 EST on 16 May 2022 to email@example.com.