Your privacy on the Internet is of utmost importance to the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO). This privacy statement describes PAHO’s policy concerning the gathering and sharing of visitors’ information through the PAHO web site. It applies to all “PAHO sites” – that is, all sites within the “PAHO.org” domain name.
What information does PAHO collect?
Normal web site usage
In general, you can browse the PAHO site without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. The only information we gather during general browsing is from standard server logs. These include your IP (Internet Protocol) address, domain name, browser type, operating system, and information such as the web site that referred you to us, the files you download, the pages you visit, and the dates/times of those visits.
Collection of personally identifiable information
If you register for a newsletter, log on to certain PAHO sites, order a book, request information, provide feedback, apply for a job, join a discussion group or join an electronic mailing list, you will be asked to provide personal information such as your name, postal address and e-mail address. This information is collected only with your knowledge and permission, and is kept in various PAHO databases and mailing lists. If you are purchasing something using the web, you may be asked to provide your credit card details. These details are transferred to a secure, online payment service, hosted outside PAHO. Credit card information is not retained by PAHO.
For certain PAHO sites, registering or supplying personal information sets a cookie*. By setting this cookie, PAHO will remember your details the next time you visit, so you don’t have to re-enter the information. This helps us to provide you with a better service.
Joining electronic discussion groups may mean that other participants of the discussion group (including non-PAHO employees) will see personal information that you have volunteered. For open discussion groups, this information will be public.
What does PAHO do with the information it collects?
Normal web site usage
The information gathered during general browsing of the “PAHO.org” domain is used to analyze trends and usage of the PAHO site and to improve the usefulness of the site. It is not connected with any personal information.
Personally identifiable information
- PAHO may use the personal information you provide to:
- Contact you – either in response to a query or suggestion, or to mail newsletters, documents, publications etc. to you;
- Manage and process your job application;
- Confirm your purchases and registrations on the site;
- Obtain payment for purchases through the site (via credit card);
- “Remember” your online profile and preferences;
- Help you quickly find information that is relevant to you based on your interests, and help us create site content most relevant to you;
- Statistical analysis.
What if I don’t want to provide personal information?
Providing personal information on the PAHO site is optional. If you choose not to provide personal information, you can still browse and use the PAHO site, but you will not be able to carry out certain actions such as purchase items, register for a newsletter or apply for a job.
Opting out and changing your information
At any time, you can cancel or modify your information by returning to the web page where you first provided the information and contacting the focal point for that page/PAHO department. Where contact details are not provided on the page, you can contact here for further information.
All our employees who have access to, and are associated with the processing of personal data, are obliged to respect the confidentiality of official business matters, including personal data.
The PAHO site contains links to sites external to the PAHO.org domain. PAHO is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such sites.
Notification of changes
*Cookies: A cookie is a small amount of data that is sent from a web server to your browser. It is normally used to assign a unique identification to your computer and securely store information such as user IDs, passwords, preferences, and online profiles. It is stored on the hard drive of your computer. You can choose not to have cookies delivered by PAHO/WHO sites by changing your browser settings. Different web sites can send their own cookies to your computer. To protect your privacy, your browser only allows a web site to access the cookies it has already sent you, not the cookies sent by other sites.
By accessing the systems of the Pan American Health Organization you agree that:
- The information exchanged through this site can only be used by you and any other authorized parties within your organization and cannot be released to third parties without the consent of the Pan American Health Organization.
- Only authorized users can have access to the site and accounts are nominative. If more than one user in your organization requires access to the site, a nominative account must be requested for the new user.
- You will notify the Pan American Health Organization if you become aware of any unauthorized use of your account.
- You will not use the site in any way that is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful, or in connection with any unlawful, illegal, fraudulent or harmful purpose or activity.
- You will not circumvent, disable, or otherwise interfere with security-related features of the Site, including features that prevent or restrict the use or copying of any Content or enforce limitations on the use of the Site and/or the Content contained therein
- You will not upload or transmit (or attempt to upload or to transmit) viruses, Trojan horses, or other material that interferes with any party's uninterrupted use of the Site or modifies, impairs, disrupts, alters, or interferes with the use, features, operation, or maintenance of the Site.