In line with 2022 World No Tobacco Day: Poisoning our Planet, the World Health Organization and the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (FCTC) Secretariat have partnered with Stopping Tobacco Organizations and Products (STOP), a global tobacco industry watchdog, to host the Webinar, Talking Trash: Behind the tobacco industry's 'green' public relations.
Tobacco control experts and environmental advocates from around the world will join our roundtable discussion to expose the tobacco industry's greenwashing tactics through a series of country case studies from France, Indonesia, Nigeria, Spain and Tanzania.
How to participate
- WEBINAR: Talking Trash: Behind the industry’s “green” public relations
- DATE: May 12, 2022
- TIME: from 7:00AM until 8:30AM EDT, Washington DC time
- LANGUAGES: English with interpretation into Spanish, French, Arab and Russian
- To raise awareness of the tobacco industry’s destructive practices across the entire product life cycle, including deforestation, water depletion, use of pesticides and tobacco product waste
- To provide clarity on different policy options to counter greenwashing (e.g. Extended Producer Responsibility policies, raise taxes, ban on CSR activities, etc.)
- Dr Armando Peruga, associate researcher at the Biomedical Research Institute of Bellvitge (IDIBELL) in Barcelona and a professor at the Center for Epidemiology and Health Policy of the University del Desarrollo in Chile.
- Dr Rüdiger Krech, Director, Health Promotion, WHO
- Dr Maria Neira, Director, Environmental and Public Health, WHO
- Dr Adriana Blanco Marquizo, Head of the FCTC Secretariat
- Andy Rowell, senior Research Fellow at the Tobacco Control Research Group at the University of Bath, Great Britain
- Kevin Genga, environmentalist, tobacco-free farms activist and inventor, "Tobacco-Free Farms" Kenya
- Dianita Sugiyo, Vice Director of Muhammadiyah Steps, Research and Innovation Institute, Universitas Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta (UMY), Indonesia
- Raquel Fernández Megina, President of Nofumadores.org
- Emmanuelle Beguinot, Director of the Comité National Contre le Tabagisme, CNCT, France
- Oluwafemi Mathew Akinbode, Executive Director of Corporate Accountability and Public Participation Africa (CAPPA)
- Cristina Gómez-Chacón Galán, Technical Advisor, Tobacco Prevention and Control Unit, Ministry of Health, Spain.
About World No Tobacco Day 2022
The harmful impact of the tobacco industry on the environment is vast and growing adding unnecessary pressure to our planet’s already scarce resources and fragile ecosystems. Tobacco kills over 8 million people every year and destroys our environment, further harming human health, through cultivation, production, distribution, consumption, and post-consumer waste.
Learn more about the impact of the tobacco industry on the planet, how it hides it, and what can be done to make the tobacco industry accountable for the environmental destruction. Visit the campaign page at
- 4:00AM – Los Angeles, Vancouver
- 5:00AM – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 6:00AM – Bogota, Mexico City, Panama City, Kingston, Lima, Quito
- 7:00AM – Asunción, Bridgetown, Caracas, Castries, Georgetown, La Havana, La Paz, Nassau, Ottawa, Port-au-Prince, Port of Spain, San Juan, Santiago, Santo Domingo, Washington DC
- 8:00AM – Buenos Aires, Brasilia, Montevideo, Paramaribo
- 1:00PM – Geneva, Madrid
(click here for additional time zones not listed)