Join us, on World Diabetes Day, for the webinar “Increasing Access to Diabetes Care in the Americas Region ” on Friday, November 12th, 2021, from 11:00 am to 12:30 pm (EST), hosted by the Pan American Health Organization in collaboration with the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) to mark World Diabetes Day. The event will serve to amplify the message about the importance of increasing access to diabetes care to improve diabetes management, prevent complications and improve the quality of life of people living with diabetes in the Americas.
Every November 14th, PAHO/WHO celebrates World Diabetes Day. It is an opportunity to raise awareness of diabetes as a public health issue and to share what needs to be done, collectively and individually, to improve the prevention, diagnosis, and management of diabetes. This year the theme is: “access to diabetes care: if not now, when?”
After 100 years since the discovery of insulin, access to diabetes care continues to be a challenge in many countries. This year’s World Diabetes Day is an opportunity to highlight the urgent need to increase access for diabetes diagnosis and treatment, in order to prevent complications and improve the quality of life of people living with diabetes. The COVID-19 pandemic continues to create many challenges in health care, especially to ensure continuity of essential services and medications for people living with diabetes. The webinar will present the experiences of programs carried out by countries and IDF to increase access to health care for people living with diabetes.
The event will include countries' presentations of their experiences in improving access to diabetes care at different levels of health care and the impact of access to diabetes care in people living with this disease.
How to participate
- DATE: Friday, November 12th, 2021
- TIME: 11:00 am to 12:30 pm (EST) [see time correspondence below]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jXXUxdQsSq63i4lW2UXpzg
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar.
- In case of difficulties to access the Zoom room, you can also follow it live on PAHO´s channel in YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/PAHOTV
The session will be available in English and Spanish with simultaneous translation.
- 11:00 AM – 11:05 AM - World Diabetes Day message from PAHO
- Dr. Jarbas Barbosa, Assistant Director, Pan American Health Organization
- 11:05 AM –11:10 AM - Introductory remarks
- Dr. Anselm Hennis, Director, Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health Department, PAHO
- 11:10 AM– 11:40 AM - Country panel: Ministry of Health experiences to increase access to diabetes diagnosis and treatment
- Paraguay: Dr. Doris Royg, Director, Diabetes Program, Ministry of Health
- Trinidad & Tobago: Dr. Abdul Hamid, General Manager, Primary Care, North Central Regional Health Authority
- 11:40 AM– 12:10 PM - Sub-regional Perspectives
- Increasing access to care for the indigenous community in Bolivia – Dr Douglas Villarroel, IDF Regional Chair for South and Central America
- Increasing access to diabetes care to improve quality of life– Dr Timotheus Dorh, IDF Regional Chair for North America and the Caribbean
- 12:10 PM - 12:15 PM - Closing remarks – Dr. Jose Guallar, consultant in diabetes, Unit of Noncommunicable Diseases and Violence and Injury Prevention, PAHO
- 12:15 PM – 12:30 PM - Q&A and closing
- 8:00 am. Los Angeles
- 10:00 am. – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, Mexico City, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 11:00 am – Bogota, Kingston, Nassau, Panama City, Port-au-Prince, Quito, Washington DC
- 12:00 pm. – Bridgetown, Caracas, Castries, Georgetown, La Paz, Port of Spain, San Juan
- 1:00 pm. – Asunción, Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Paramaribo, Santiago
- 5:00 pm. – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link