As of 17 August 2022,
- Globally, 38,888 confirmed cases of monkeypox from 93 Member States: 51% in the European Region, 48% in the Region of the Americas, 1% in the Africa Region, <1% each in the Eastern Mediterranean Region, Western Pacific Region, and South-East Asia Region (Figure 1).
- 6,448 additional cases, 20% increase in the last 7 days
- 98.5% (17,681/17,943) of cases with available data are male, the median age is 36 years. <1% (107/21,042) of cases with available age data are aged 0-17 years, including 26 cases aged 0-4 years. Males between 18-44 years old account for 77% of cases with available data.
- In the Americas, 18,659 confirmed cases from 25 countries and territories. Four countries in the Region account for 96% of confirmed cases (United States of America, Brazil, Canada, and Peru).
- 34% increase in confirmed cases in the last 7 days, and Honduras reported its first confirmed case.
- Two deaths have been reported in the Region related to monkeypox (Brazil and Ecuador).
- Most of the confirmed cases with available information (3,916/4,035) are male, aged 25 to 45 years old, and most (88%) self-identify as men who have sex with other men.
- The proportion of cases in women is increasing in the last 3 weeks.
- 5 countries in the Region have reported 46 confirmed cases among persons <18 years old (Brazil, Canada, Ecuador, Mexico, and Peru).
- 505 (10%) of 4,930 cases with available information were hospitalized.
- 82% of 1,780 cases in the Americas with available information are locally transmitted cases.