Swearing-in ceremony of Dr. Jarbas Barbosa da Silva Jr., of Brazil, as Director of the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO). Dr. Barbosa was elected in September 2022 by PAHO Member States. His five-year term begins on February 1, 2023.
Tuesday, January 31, 2023, 11:00 a.m. (EST - Washington, D.C. time).
- Virtual: From the PAHO website: www.paho.org
- Dr. Jarbas Barbosa
- Carissa F. Etienne, outgoing Director of PAHO/WHO
- Nísia Trinidade Lima, Minister of Health of Brazil
- Xavier Becerra, Secretary of Health and Human Services of the United States
- Luis Almagro, Secretary General of the Organization of American States (OAS)
- Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of the World Health Organization (WHO) - on video
- Carlyle de Macedo, Sir George Alleyne, Mirta Roses, Directors Emeritus of PAHO - on video
- Molwyn Joseph, Minister of Health, Wellness & The Environment of Antigua and Barbuda. Vice President of the 30th Pan American Sanitary Conference.
Members of the press who wish to attend in person must request accreditation from firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, surname, ID/passport number, telephone number and name of media outlet by Friday, January 27. Those who have not requested accreditation prior to the deadline will not be permitted entry to the ceremony.