PAHO regional event:
During the celebration of Universal Health Day 2020,in addition to supporting the Global Campaign, the central regional event will be a webinar to launch the publication entitled “The Essential Public Health Functions in the Americas: A Renewal for the 21st Century”.
Schedule: Friday, December 11, 2020, from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM (EST)
Primary audience: decision makers in policy formulation at all institutional levels, health teams, professionals from academic institutions and social movements
Languages: the event will be streamed in English and Spanish
Registration: ZOOM at https://bit.ly/35aXr6Y
This event is an opportunity to promote the implementation of the new EPHF framework at the country level.
This publication will be available here on 11 December, 2020
- Welcome Remarks: Carissa F. Etienne. Director of the Pan American Health Organization, PAHO.
- Renewal of Essential Public Health Functions in the America: James Fitzgerald, Director, Health Systems and Services, PAHO.
- Analysis of Regional Experiences in the Essential Public Health Functions: Moderator: Jarbas Barbosa, Assistant Director, PAHO
- Essential Public Health Functions from the country perspectives: Background and lessons learned: Alejandra Acuña Navarro, Vice Minister of Health, Costa Rica.
- Essential Public Health Functions in the Caribbean: Background and lessons learned: Peter Adams, Dean Faculty Medical Sciences, Coordinator Public Health Programs, University of the West Indies.
- Essential Public Health Functions in Latin America: Background and strengthens of the new Essential Public Health Functions Framework to address the COVID-19 pandemic context: Ximena Aguilera, Universidad del Desarrollo, Chile.
- Closing remarks: Ciro Ugarte, Director Health Emergencies Department, PAHO.
World Health Organization event:
Schedule: 11 December 2020, 14:00-15:25 H, CET
Primary audience: Donors/missions and key partners
Languages: The event will be streamed in the six official languages, recorded and posted on WHO UHC Day event page.
This event is an opportunity to:
- Highlight major progress in countries, the challenges remaining and where WHO helps filling the gaps. Several countries from different regions will be part of the panel of speakers.
- Underscore the urgent need, highlighted by the pandemic, to invest in Common Goods for health and in PHC-driven health systems.
- Showcase WHO’s work with countries and its flagship programmes and forward-looking initiatives.