Health promotion is one of the essential functions of public health and is defined as a political and social process that develops actions so that all people can reach their maximum health and wellbeing potential, both individually and collectively.
To achieve its objective, health promotion delves into the causes of the causes of health and seeks to improve the social, environmental, and economic conditions and contexts in which people live by considering the social determinants and equity in health. The health challenges and needs we face in the 21st century require a change of focus on the origin of health and disease and how to improve the well-being of individuals and communities.
PAHO and the countries of the Region of the Americas approved at the 57th Directing Council (2019) the Strategy and Plan of Action on Health Promotion in the context of the Sustainable Development Goals 2019-2030. The objective of this measure is to renew health promotion through social, political and technical actions, addressing the Sustainable Development Goals to improve health and reduce health inequities in the context of the 2030 Agenda.
To facilitate the development and implementation of the key lines of this Strategy and achieve its goals, PAHO is working on new health promotion tools that facilitate the countries of the Region of the Americas in their concrete operationalization and move from theory to action. Two of these tools will be presented in this launch event: the new virtual course and the window of knowledge. Both are intended to strengthen and update training, exchange and joint learning in the area of Health Promotion in the Region.
The new Virtual Course on Health Promotion is entitled A comprehensive approach to promote health and wellness in the 21st century. These are its characteristics:
- free online course,
- it has been designed to contribute to renew and integrate Health Promotion as an essential means to improve health, wellbeing and equity in the 21st century,
- aims to update and reinforce the key fundamentals underpinning health promotion through content, activities and resources included in 4 modules,
- it will be available on PAHO's public health virtual campus in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
Regarding the Window of Knowledge on Health Promotion:
- is a repository of strategic documents on health promotion that gathers all institutional publications related to health promotion from the different countries of the Region of the Americas after 2010,
- its purpose is to provide visibility and facilitate the exchange of knowledge, experiences and expertise among countries,
- it is conceived as a dynamic tool of collective creation that aims to consolidate itself as a reference space in the Region.
- PLATFORM: Zoom
- DATE: Monday, October 30th, 2023
- TIME: 10:30 -11:30 am (EDT, Washington DC).
- OTHER TIME ZONES: 9:30-10.30am (Panama, Lima), 11:30am-12:30pm (Brasilia, Buenos Aires).
- LANGUAGES: Spanish, English, Portuguese.
Dr. Jarbas Barbosa, Director, PAHO
Dr. Gerry Eijkemans, director of the Social and Environmental Determinants for Health Equity Department, PAHO
Panel: The importance of Health Promotion for health and well-being
Dr. Joy St John, Executive Director of the Caribbean Public Health Agency (CARPHA)
Dr. Alejandra Acuña, Executive Secretary of the Council of Ministers of Health of Central America and the Dominican Republic (SE-COMISCA)
Dr. Maria del Carmen Calle Dávila, Executive Secretary of the Andean Health Organization-Hipolito Unanue Agreement (ORAS-CONHU)
Moderator: Dr. Orielle Solar, Unit Chief a.i., Unit Health Promotion and Social Determinants, PAHO
Presentation of the health promotion virtual course and the window of knowledge
Dr. Pilar Campos, Regional Advisor for Health Promotion PAHO
Dr. Rhonda Sealey-Thomas, Assistant Director, PAHO