As part of the activities to mark World Suicide Prevention Day, the Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health will host a webinar titled "Creating Hope through Action", on Friday 10 September, 2021. The session, in Spanish and English, will take place from 2:00 to 3:30 pm.
The webinar will invite professionals from across fields to provide updated information and evidence-based solutions on suicide, share experience, and advocate for suicide prevention to lowering countries’ premature mortality and promote mental health.
- To provide overview of the suicide prevention initiatives in the Region of the Americas.
- To highlight Trinidad and Tobago’s national experience in preventing suicide.
- To present the work of the United Nations Development Agency in investing in suicide prevention in the Region.
- To share the lived experience of a survivor of suicide.
- National authorities from Ministries of Health, affiliates, and other Ministries
- Health care providers and community workers
- Project Collaborators
How to participate
- DATE: Friday, 10 September 2021
- TIME: 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. (EDT) [check the time correspondence in your area at the bottom of the page]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_TZq5BhFhSVaSx3ThoAUCUg
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar
- LANGUAGES: The session will be in English and Spanish, with simultaneous translation to both languages.
(Click on the titles of the presentations to download them)
Moderator: Dr. Claudina Cayetano, Regional Advisor on Mental Health, Pan American Health Organization.
14:00 - 14:10 - Suicide Prevention in the Americas
- Dr. Renato Oliveira e Souza, Unit Chief, Mental Health and Substance Unit, Pan American Health Organization.
14:10 - 14:25 - Preventing Suicide in Trinidad and Tobago
- Dr. Hazel Othello, Director, Mental Health Unit, Trinidad and Tobago
14:25 - 14:40 - Overcoming Suicide: Hope for the Future
- Ms. Paulina del Rio, person with lived experience of suicide, Chile
14:40 - 14:55 - Investing in suicide prevention: Lessons learned
- Mr. Jairo Valverde, UNDP Representative, Guyana
14:55 – 15:25 - Questions and answers
15:25 - 15:30 - Closing Remarks
- Dr. Renato Oliveira e Souza, Unit Chief, Mental Health and Substance Unit, Pan American Health Organization
- 11:00 am – Los Angeles
- 12:00 pm – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 1:00 pm – Bogotá, Kingston, Mexico City, Panamá City, Lima, Quito
- 2:00 pm – Bridgetown, Castries, Georgetown, Nassau, Port of Spain, San Juan, Washington DC
- 3:00 pm – Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Paramaribo, Santiago
- 8:00 pm – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link