The Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health (NMH) will host a webinar on Wednesday, 4 August 2021, at 10:00 a.m. EDT. World Breastfeeding Week, celebrated every year from 1 to 7 of August, is a global campaign coordinated by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) to raise awareness and galvanize action on themes related to breastfeeding. PAHO joins the global community to support the efforts to strengthen measures to protect, promote, and support the right to breastfeeding across the Region of the Americas.
As this year is the 40th Anniversary of the International Code of Marketing of Breast milk substitutes, the webinar will focus on the strategies to monitor the Code implementation on the Region of the Americas and will present experiences from Uruguay and Trinidad and Tobago in this area.
The International Code was adopted by the World Health Assembly on 21st May 1981 under Resolution WHA 34.22, so that families would be protected from the infant formula industry’s aggressive marketing tactics aimed at promoting breast-milk substitutes, which was contributing to declining breastfeeding rates and increasing child morbidity and mortality. The aim of the Code is “to contribute to the provision of safe and adequate nutrition for infants, by the protection and promotion of breastfeeding, and by ensuring the proper use of breast-milk substitutes, when these are necessary, based on adequate information and through appropriate marketing and distribution”.
How to participate
- DATE: Wednesday, 4 August 2021
- TIME: 10:00 am - 11:15 am (EDT) [check the time correspondence in your area at the bottom of the page]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_nrOy36VGRuCWshRXUdDmAA
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar
- LANGUAGE: The session will be in English, Spanish and Portuguese, with simultaneous translation in all three languages.
|Moderador: Dr. Leo Nederveen, Acting Unit Chief, Risk Factors and Nutrition Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health (NMH)|
|10:00 am||Welcome and Opening Remarks||Dr. Leo Nederveen, Acting Unit Chief, Risk Factors and Nutrition Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health (NMH)|
|10:10 am||Presentation: “Protecting breastfeeding in the Americas – supporting countries to monitor Code implementation in the Region”||Dra. Carmen Casanovas, Consultant PAHO|
|10:30 am||Country Experiences: Monitoring the implementation of the Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes – experience||
- Trinidad and Tobago
|11:15 am||Closing Remarks||Dr. Audrey Morris, Advisor, Food and Nutrition, Risk Factors and Nutrition, Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health (NMH)|
- 7:00 am – Los Angeles
- 8:00 am – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 9:00 am – Bogotá, Kingston, Mexico City, Panamá City, Lima, Quito
- 10:00 am – Bridgetown, Castries, Georgetown, Nassau, Port of Spain, San Juan, Washington DC
- 11:00 pm – Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Paramaribo
- 4:00 pm – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link