When does the election process start?
March 1, 2022.
What happens on that day?
The President of the Executive Committee of PAHO sends a notification to PAHO Member States, Participating States, and Associate Members inviting them to submit nominations for the position of Director of the Pan American Sanitary Bureau.
What is the deadline for nominations?
May 1, 2022.
Who may submit nominations?
Any Member State, Participating State, or Associate Member of the Pan American Health Organization (see list here).
How many candidates can a Member State nominate?
A Member State may nominate one candidate.
Does the nominated candidate have to be a national of the country who is nominating him/her?
No, one Member State can nominate a national or a non-national. However, they must be a national from a country within the Region of the Americas.
When will the election take place?
The election will take place during the 30th Pan American Sanitary Conference, which will be held on 26-30 September 2022.
Who votes in the election?
Each Member State and Participating State of the Pan American Health Organization have the right to vote (see list here).
What are the requirements for the candidates?
Candidates nominated for the post of Director of the Pan American Sanitary Bureau should have:
(1) A strong technical and public health background, extensive experience in international health, and an understanding of the inter-American and United Nations systems.
(2) A proven history and evidence of public health leadership, and management skills appropriate for a complex health-related organization.
(3) Sensitivity to and respect for the cultural, social, political, and economic diversity within and among the countries in the Region.
(4) Knowledge of the regional health situation and of the wide range of health systems in the Region.
(5) A strong commitment to the work of PAHO.
(6) Good physical condition, as required of all staff members of the Organization.
(7) Fluency in one of the official languages and a working knowledge of one of the others.
Who have served as Directors of the Pan American Sanitary Bureau?
The current director is Dr. Carissa F. Etienne who began her first term on 1 February 2013 and her second term on 1 February 2018. Previous directors include Dr. Mirta Roses Periago (2003-2013), Dr. George Alleyne (1995-2003), Dr. Carlyle Guerra de Macedo (1983-1995), Dr. Héctor Acuña (1975-1983), Dr. Abraham Horwitz (1959-1975), Dr. Fred Soper (1947-1959), Dr. Hugh Cumming (1920-1947), Dr. Rupert Blue (1912-1920), and Dr. Walter Wyman (1902-1911).
Where can I find more information on the election process?
Article 21, paragraph A of the PAHO Constitution; Part IX, Rule 56 of the Rules of Procedure of the Conference and Rules Governing the Election Process for the Position of Director of the Pan American Sanitary Bureau, as approved by Resolution CD47.R4.
Who do I contact with other questions?
For any other questions on the election process, please reach the Office of the Legal Counsel at email@example.com.
— Relevant documentation related to the election process is available here.
Back to page on the election of the PASB Director