EU and PAHO-Belize Partnership
This partnership between the EU, PAHO/WHO, and the Belize MOH will run for four years and will carry out joint actions that will address two specific objectives:
The expected results of this joint program include:
- Six health facilities and one laboratory retrofitted based on the smart hospitals concept and climate-disaster resiliency;
- National multi-hazard management capacity enhanced;
- Integrated Health Service Delivery Network approach implemented in all regions, including primary care services;
- Health system re-organized with improved efficiencies and organizational management, fostering partnership with different stakeholders;
- National Nutrition Policy designed and promoted;
- Training in results-base management, strategic planning, and program budgeting and Monitoring and Evaluation system functional.
In the next five years, Belizeans will see the realization of several major projects of the Health Support Programme Belize that are being funded by the European Union. Towards this end, the following activities, among others, have already been achieved in the first six months of implementation of the programme, through the support of the European Union:
- A Refresher course forassessment of 24 Health Facilities for HIS & Green has been held
- Mass Casualty management Training conducted
- Incident Command System Training Conducted
- National Cancer Plan being developed
- Health Sector Reform Assessment Planning Workshop conducted.
The health sector in Belize is confronted with many challenges that are constantly evolving due to the introduction of technologies, emerging diseases, the burden of non-communicable diseases and the threats of climate-related disasters. Therefore, the sector must be strategic in addressing these challenges. Through the 11th European Development Fund (EDF), and a 6.8 M Euros grant, the Health Support Programme Belize is being implemented to support the Belize Health Sector Strategic Plan (BHSSP 2014-2024) aligned with the Horizon 2030 National Strategy and the Belize Growth and Sustainable Development Strategy 2016-2019.
The Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization, the implementing agency for the program is working very closely with the Ministry of Health to ensure the achievement of the programme’s goals and objectives.