This document, last updated on March 04, 2016, answers the following questions:
- Can Zika virus be transmitted through donated blood?
- What precautions should be taken to ensure that the blood supply is safe in countries where Zika infection is occurring?
- What about blood donations in areas affected by Zika?
- What measures may be considered for reducing the risk of Zika virus through blood transfusion in areas with active Zika virus transmission?
- How could blood donations be tested for the presence of Zika virus?
- Should countries prepare if they have Aedes mosquitoes but the Zika virus has not yet been found?