The SHAKE package outlines the policies and interventions which have been effective in reducing population salt intake, provides evidence of the efficacy of the recommended interventions, and includes a toolkit containing resources to assist Members States to implement the interventions.
The SHAKE acronym stands for:
- Surveillance: measure and monitor salt use.
- Harness industry: promote the reformulation of foods and meals to contain less salt.
- Adopt standards for labelling and marketing: Implement standards for effective and accurate labelling and marketing of food.
- Knowledge: educate and communicate to empower individuals to eat less salt.
- Environment: support settings to promote healthy eating.