The Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health (NMH) will host the webinar "Alcohol and COVID-19 in the Americas: What’s happened and how do we move forward?", Monday, 30 August 2021, at 10:00 a.m. EDT.
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed drinking patterns in a variety of ways. These changes are, in part, the result of the public policies aimed at controlling the spread of the virus as well as changes in alcohol policies. Alcohol is a major risk factor for mortality and morbidity in the Americas and is responsible for 6.5% of all deaths in the region. Emerging evidence from several key reports highlight the societal and economic cost of harmful alcohol consumption, the main strategies used by the alcohol industry during the pandemic, and the ways and extent to which incentives given to the same industries end up going against public health and safety goals.
The objective of this webinar is to review the current situation regarding alcohol consumption, policies and responses in the Americas in the context of COVID-19, and to discuss what can be done as we move forward to reduce the harmful use of alcohol and build more resilient health systems while we continue to contend with the COVID-19 pandemic.
Health professionals, public health managers in primary care centers, technicians, students and the general population with interest in the subject of alcohol.
How to participate
- DATE: Monday, August 30, 2021
- TIME: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm (EDT) [check the time correspondence in your area at the bottom of the page]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_yhDC5iDLQFGqrvCZ-Op2Sw
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar
- LANGUAGE: The session will be in English and Spanish with simultaneous translation in both languages.
|Moderador: Dr. Maristela G Monteiro, Senior Advisor on Alcohol, NMH/MH, PAHO|
|10:00 am||Welcome and Opening Remarks||Dr. Anselm Hennis, Director, Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health, PAHO|
|10:05 am||Introduction of Panelists||Dr. Maristela G Monteiro, Senior Advisor on Alcohol, NMH/MH, PAHO|
|10:10 am||Alcohol and COVID-19 in Latin America and the Caribbean||
Dr. Maristela G Monteiro, Senior Advisor on Alcohol, NMH/MH, PAHO
|10:25 am||Alcohol and COVID-19 in North America||Dr. Jürgen Rehm, CAMH|
|10:40 am||Actions of the alcohol industry during the pandemic||Dr. Jeff Collin, University of Edinburgh|
|10:55 am||Alcohol industry actions in the English Caribbean and the role of civil society in fighting back||Dr. Alafia Samuels, University of the West Indies|
|11:10 am||How the Americas compare to the rest of OECD countries and common lessons||Dr. Michele Cecchini, OECD|
|11:25 am||Q & A||Dr. Maristela G Monteiro, Senior Advisor on Alcohol, NMH/MH, PAHO|
|11:55 am||Closing remarks||Dr. Renato Oliveira e Souza, Unit Chief, Mental Health and Substance Use, PAHO|
- 7:00 am – Los Angeles
- 8:00 am – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 9:00 am – Bogotá, Kingston, Mexico City, Panamá City, Lima, Quito
- 10:00 am – Bridgetown, Castries, Georgetown, Nassau, Port of Spain, San Juan, Washington DC
- 11:00 pm – Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Paramaribo
- 4:00 pm – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link