Participate on Wednesday, November 8, 2023, from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. (EST) in the webinar on Strengthening Post-Crash Response in the Region of the Americas. The session, which will be held within the framework of the World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims, seeks to create a space to share some reflections of key actors involved in the search for comprehensive care for traffic victims in the moments after their occurrence (emergency) and in the moments after the emergency (comprehensive assistance to victims and families) in Latin America and the Caribbean.
From this open, respectful, and purposeful dialogue, opportunities for collaboration can be identified to enhance efforts and be more successful in these two types of response, considering the need to strengthen and harmonize the supporting legal framework.
How to participate
- DATE: Wednesday, November 8, 2023
- TIME: 9:00 A.M. to 11:00 A.M. (EST or Washington DC time)
- LANGUAGES: English and Spanish with simultaneous translation.
- REGISTRATION: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Ytv74CN5Tr-_wsyimoekcQ#/registration
This session brings together authorities representing leading road safety agencies, officials from the ministries of health and other government agencies, parliamentarians interested in the topic, city mayors, and representatives of civil society organizations working on road safety in the Region.
History has shown that when different actors with common objectives come together, significant advances in road safety, and in this case, in the care of those affected by road crashes, can be achieved. This is crucial in the face of the challenges posed by achieving the ambitious yet realistic and necessary goals of the Decade of Action for Road Safety 2021-2030, where the explicit recognition of the need to move from good intentions and speeches to the implementation of actions with proven evidence of effectiveness has been acknowledge.
09:00-09:10 a.m. Welcome Remarks
Dr. Anselm Hennis, Director of the Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health, Pan American Health Organization (video)
09:10-10:00 a.m. Opportunities to strengthen post-crash response in the Americas
- PAHO authorities: Ricardo Pérez-Núñez, Advisor on Road Safety and Prevention of Unintentional Injuries.
- Representative of the Governing Body: Pablo Martinez Carignano, National Road Safety Agency (ANSV), Argentina
- Perspective of Organized Civil Society and NGOs:
- Ibero-American Federation of Victims’ Association Against Road Violence (FICVI): Alma Chávez Guth, President
- Global Alliance of NGOs for Road Safety: Florencia Lambrosquini, Coordinator of the Latin America Chapter.
10:00-10:30 a.m. National initiatives in response to Emergencies
- Efforts to strengthen emergency care in Paraguay, Dr. Ronald Delgadillo, Director of the National Program for Injuries from External Causes, Ministry of Health.
- Efforts to strengthen emergency care in Belize, Dr. Fidel Cuellar, Deputy Director of Public Health and Wellness of the Ministry of Health and Wellness.
10:30 -10:50 a.m. Comprehensive care for victims and family members after the emergency
- Comprehensive Care Units for Victims and Families: Alma Chávez Guth, President of FICVI.
- Legislative initiatives on assistance and protection for road victims and the Road Safety Parliamentary Network for the Americas, Ignacio Ibarra, Regional Advisor for Health-Related Legislation, PAHO/WHO.
10:50-11:00 a.m. Close