In the most recent Andar La Salud newsletter (PAHO/WHO Cuba), the actions taken by PAHO/WHO Collaborating Centres in Cuba against COVID-19 are highlighted.
Below are examples of the Centres' activities:
PAHO/WHO CC for the Study and Control of Dengue and WHO CC for Tuberculosis Elimination, El Instituto de Medicine Tropical “Pedro Kouri” (IPK)
- Devoted its laboratory resources, work teams, and experts to the research and treatment of COVID-19. The Centre participated, together with different health, scientific and academic institutions, in preparation of the National Plan for COVID-19, as well as in the establishment of the network of SARS-CoV-2 diagnostic laboratories.
PAHO/WHO CC for the Development of Genetic Approaches for Health Promotion, Centro Nacional de Genetica Medica
- Worked with national surveillance for prenatal ultrasound of pregnant women with COVID-19, as well as in the diagnosis and possible teratogenic effects of the SARS-CoV-2 virus while monitoring these effects in the therapies used for the management of COVID-19.
PAHO/WHO CC in Knowledge Management and Communication, Ministerio de Salud Pública
- Created the Coronavirus Infections Portal and developed an application for mobile devices with updated and reliable information on COVID-19.
PAHO/WHO CC in Public Health and Aging, Centro de Investigaciones sobre Longevidad, Envejecimiento y Salud (CITED)
- Worked on documents for the management of elderly patients in nursing homes and critical care units (therapies) and communication materials aimed at caregivers and elderly people in confinement.
PAHO/WHO CC in Hospital Organization, Management and Quality, Hospital Gustavo Alderegia Lima
- Carried out training and updating actions for health personnel at different levels of care.
PAHO/WHO CC for the Regulation of Health Technologies, Centro para el Control Estatal de Medicamentos, Equipos y Dispositivos Médicos (CECMED)
- Actively participated in seminars and virtual meetings convened by PAHO/WHO for the regulatory update and technical discussion of relevant issues in the context of COVID-19 with the National Regulatory Authorities.