On Tuesday 7 February, 2023, PAHO will be hosting a media launch to present the new handbook "Promoting Wellbeing and Mental Health in Schools". The event will take place via Zoom and the PAHO Youtube channel at 9:00 AM (AST or Barbados time) / 8:00 AM (EST or Washington DC time).
This publication is a self-learning guide designed to provide training to teachers, administrators, and people involved in the education of primary school children about the implementation of mental health literacy into daily school life. Such knowledge, skills and attitudes will equip all levels of educators with key tools to support student mental health, manage difficult classroom behavior, and promote students’ wellbeing and academic success.
How to participate
- DATE: Tuesday, 7 February, 2023
- TIME: 9:00 am (AST or Barbados time) / 8:00 am (EST or Washington DC time)
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_P4_a_z2sSB-ZhaLOsXrhrg
- LANGUAGE: The session will be in English.
Emotional and behavioral disorders are major contributors to health-related disability in children and youth, and are associated with premature mortality, including by suicide, and long-term negative social and economic consequences for individuals and society. Prevention of emotional and behavioral disorders is therefore a global public health priority.
Schools have the unique opportunity to identify and support children who are experiencing emotional and behavioral difficulties. Improving mental health literacy, or the knowledge and beliefs about mental health and mental disorders, are now seen as critically important to establish the foundations of mental health to promote well-being and socioemotional development, improve early recognition of mental disorders, and reduce stigma.
To date, most mental health literacy programs have targeted adolescent teenagers and secondary school teachers, while little attention has been paid to improve mental health literacy among primary school educators and children.
(The hours expressed corresponds to AST or Barbados time zone)
Moderator: Ms. Lisa Bayley, Specialist, Communications for Health Promotion, SPC-CRB
- 9:00 am - Opening remarks
- Mr. Dean Chambliss, PAHO/WHO Officce of the Subregional Program Coordination, Caribbean
- 9:10 am - Why Promote Wellbeing and Mental Health in Schools?
- Dr. Renato Oliveira e Souza, Unit chief, Mental Health and Substance Use, PAHO/WHO
- 9:20 am - How to use the handbook?
- Dr. Marc Laporta, Department of Psychiatry McGill University, Director of the Collaborating Center
- 9:30 am - Advocating for mental health inclusion in schools
- Ms. Danielle Walwyn, Advocay Officer, Childhood Obesity and Prevention and Coordinator of Healthy Caribbean Youth
- 9:45 am - Closing Remarks
- Dr. Claudina Cayetano, Advisor Mental Health PAHO/WHO
- Ms. Sheryl Dennis Wright, International Consultant, Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health, PAHO/WHO
Promoting Wellbeing and Mental Health in Schools
Time in other cities
- 5:00 am: Los Angeles
- 6:00 am: Calgary
- 7:00 am : Belmopan, Guatemala City, Mexico City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 8:00 am: Bogotá, Ciudad de Panamá, Havana, Lima, Kingston, Quito, Nassau, Port-au-Prince, Washington DC
- 9:00 am: Bridgetown, Caracas, Castries, Georgetown, La Paz, Port of Spain, Santo Domingo, San Juan
- 10:00 am: Asunción, Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Montevideo, Paramaribo
- 2:00 pm: Geneve, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link.