Join us, on World Diabetes Day, for the webinar “Sweet or Sour? Sweet drinks conceal a sour truth” on Tuesday, 9 November 2021, from 9:00 am to 10:30 am (EST), hosted by the Pan American Health Organization in collaboration with WASSH (World Action on Salt, Sugar and Health) to mark the World Sugar Awareness Week.
This year the first World Sugar Awareness Week will be celebrated from 8 – 14 November. The theme of this year’s World Sugar Awareness Week is ‘Sweet or Sour? Sweet drinks conceal a sour truth’. Sugary drinks are one of the largest contributors to global sugar intake. Too much sugar in our diets is linked to weight gain, obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and dental caries. Despite recommendations to limit the intake of sugary drinks, sales are increasing worldwide, especially in low- and middle-income countries as a result of aggressive marketing practices. In recent years, countries have responded by developing measures to reduce sugar in the diet, including marketing restrictions, taxes/levies on sugar-sweetened beverages, front-of-pack warning labels, and bans of sale of sugary drinks in schools.
It is crucial to advocate for and promote policies to prevent noncommunicable diseases and reduce sugar consumption in our Region.
For this reason, PAHO in collaboration with WASSH (World Action on Salt, Sugar and Health) will be conducting this webinar with the aim of raising awareness of the harmful effects of these drinks, as well as discussing the various policy actions available to address high and growing consumption. It’s time for governments around the world to say enough is enough and take action to reduce the sugar - before our health turns sour.
The primary audience will be governmental entities and decision-makers, researchers, health professionals, and civil society organizations.
Raise awareness of the impact of sugar on health
Raise awareness of successful policy approaches to addressing sugar intake in our Region
How to participate
- DATE: Tuesday, 9 November 2021
- TIME: 9:00 am to 10:30 am (EST) [see time correspondence below]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_wJ1BRQZaQi-WONiRfzN92w
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar.
The session will be available in English and Spanish with simultaneous translation.
Moderator: Leo Nederveen - Acting Unit Chief. Risk Factors Unit & Advisor Food, Nutrition and Physical Activity in Schools – PAHO
- 9:00 AM – 9:10 AM - Opening and Welcome
- Leo Nederveen - Acting Unit Chief. Risk Factors Unit & Advisor Food, Nutrition and Physical Activity in Schools – PAHO
- 9:10 AM – 9:25 AM - Presentation of WASSH World Sugar Awareness Week
- Professor Graham MacGregor - WASSH
- 9:25 AM – 9:40 AM - Health Harms of Sugar Consumption and its implications for Policy
- Professor Richard Watt – University College London (UCL)
- 9:40 AM – 9:55 AM - Taxation of Sugary Drinks: Progress in the Region of the Americas
- Dr Fabio Gomes Da Silva – Advisor in Nutrition and Physical Activity – PAHO
- 9:55 AM – 10:10 AM - Role of civil society in the promotion of policies to reduce sugar consumption
- Alejandro Calvillo – El Poder del Consumidor – Mexico
- 10:10 AM – 10:25 AM - Q&A
- 10:25 AM – 10:30 AM - Final comments and closing
- 6:00 am. Los Angeles
- 8:00 am. – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, Mexico City, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 9:00 am – Bogota, Kingston, Nassau, Panama City, Port-au-Prince, Quito, Washington DC
- 10:00 am. – Bridgetown, Caracas, Castries, Georgetown, La Paz, Port of Spain, San Juan
- 11:00 am. – Asunción, Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Paramaribo, Santiago
- 3:00 pm. – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link