How to participate
- WEBINAR: Access to medicines for smoking cessation: Inclusion of bupropion and varenicline on national EMLs
- DATE: August 25, 2022
- TIME: from 10:00AM until 11:30AM EDT, Washington DC time (see bottom of page for additional time zones)
- LANGUAGES: English, Spanish and Portuguese (simultaneous interpretation available for both languages)
On 1 October 2021, the WHO announced the release of the 22nd EML with the inclusion of two new medicines for tobacco cessation, namely bupropion and varenicline. Prior to this update, only nicotine replacement therapy was listed as an essential medicine for people who wish to stop using tobacco. Bupropion and varenicline are medicines which work in a different way from nicotine replacement therapy. These medicines reduce cravings for nicotine without supplying a nicotine substitute, thereby supporting people in quitting tobacco use and reducing nicotine dependence.
Bupropion and varenicline have both been shown to be safe and effective ways of quitting tobacco for longer time periods. The addition of these medicines to the EML is a signal to national authorities, public health professionals, doctors and citizens that additional options are now available to help individuals who wish to quit.
The webinar aims to raise awareness of the two medications, and encourage and guide countries in the Region of the Americas to include them on national essential medicines lists.
- Governments in the PAHO region
- Policy makers
- NGOs and civil society
- Presentation on the current status of cessation medicines available in the region
- Raise awareness of bupropion and varenicline and how these medicines are used to treat nicotine dependence
- Provide clarity on the EML process and ways WHO HQ can provide technical support to countries wishing to update national essential medicines lists (NEMLs)
- 7:00AM – Los Angeles, Vancouver
- 8:00AM – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 9:00AM – Bogota, Mexico City, Panama City, Kingston, Lima, Quito
- 10:00AM – Asunción, Bridgetown, Caracas, Castries, Georgetown, La Havana, La Paz, Nassau, Ottawa, Port-au-Prince, Port of Spain, San Juan, Santiago, Santo Domingo, Washington DC
- 11:00AM – Buenos Aires, Brasilia, Montevideo, Paramaribo
- 4:00PM – Geneva, Madrid
(click here for additional time zones not listed)