Join us on Tuesday, February 27th, from 10:00 to 12:00 pm (Washington DC time) on the webinar "Application of the life course approach to national immunization programs" organized by the PAHO Special Program on Comprehensive Immunizations (CIM) in conjunction with the Healthy Life Course Unit (HL).
The webinar's objective will be to disseminate the content of the technical document “Achieving better immunity: the life course approach for healthy longevity” and explore the application of the life course approach (LCA) to national immunization programs. The LCA is a framework to help public health professionals optimize health across the life course and identify key moments when health interventions can gain maximum benefits for the well-being of people and communities.
The invited speakers will summarize the key points and considerations from this document and practical examples of how to apply LCA principles to vaccination will be offered, including experiences from Brazil and Colombia and the International Federation on Aging (IFA).
How to participate
- DATE: Tuesday, 27 February 2024
- TIME: 10:00 am - 12:00 pm (EST)
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_3L7wvPtjTRCi0jM9A-9R9A#/registration
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar
- Check the time in your timezone
- LANGUAGE: There will be simultaneous interpretation in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
- Representatives of the Ministry of Health of PAHO Member States
- PAHO Regional Advisors and Country Focal Points (CIM, HSS, PHE, RFV)
- Focal points working on primary care, health systems and immunization from other international agencies (WHO, CDC, UNICEF, UNFPA)
Activity and panelists
Opening remarks: A Life Course Approach to revitalize national immunization programs
Dr. Daniel Salas, Executive Manager, PAHO Special Comprehensive Immunization Program (CIM)
Technical guidance: What is the Life Course Approach and how does it impact public health programs?
Dr. Enrique Vega, Unit Chief, Healthy Life Course
Technical guidance: Why is it important to implement a life course approach to immunization?
Dr. Margherita Ghiselli, Regional Immunization Advisor, CIM
Country experience: Coordinating a national immunization program with a life course approach within primary health services in Brazil
Representative Ministry of Health
Country experience: Vaccination against COVID-19 in Colombia: an example of integration of vaccination in the primary care system and development of vaccination platforms for adults
Carmen Elisa Ojeda, Coordinator of the Group for Integrated Management of Vaccine Preventable Diseases, Ministry of Health
Driving policy to support a life course approach to immunization
International Federation on Aging
Question and answer session
Closing remarks: Immunization as an example of a Life Course Approach for health systems and programs
Dr. James Fitzgerald, Director, Health Systems and Services