2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals. Target 3.5: Strengthen the prevention and treatment of substance abuse; "Challenges and status of progress"
On Monday, 28 June 2021, at 10:00 am (EDT) / 4:00 pm (time in Valencia, Spain) join our webinar to mark the "International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking" a joint event organized by the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD) of the Organization of American States (OAS) and the City of Valencia, Spain.
The use of psychoactive substances and their consequences for collective health and well-being, remains a matter of concern for national governments. These problems constitute a significant burden on health and social care systems, especially in lower-middle-income countries and populations, in which the adverse consequences related to the use of psychoactive substances by the population are disproportionately concentrated, because of the action of multiple social determinants, among which the barriers in access to treatment for people with substance use disorders.
That is why, in the policies adopted at the global, regional, and national levels, emphasis has been placed on the link between addressing drug problems and development policies. In the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development Goals, one specifically addressed to this issue is included, Goal 3.5 Strengthen the prevention and treatment of substance abuse, including drug abuse and harmful alcohol consumption.
This webinar will address the challenges involved in achieving Goal 3.5 of the SDGs and will analyze its state of progress in our region, together with participants from Spain, Latin America, and the Caribbean.
How to participate
- DATE: Monday, 28 June, 2021
- TIME: 10:00 am (EDT) / 4:00 pm (time in Valencia, Spain) [see time correspondence below]
- REGISTER: https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Ax0ssAlfQ6WWYAlfLsazzg
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar.
- LANGUAGE: The session will be in English and Spanish, with simultaneous translation.
(The presentations are in the original language)
- Joan Ramón Villalbí Hereter, Government Delegate for the National Plan on Drugs
- Emiliano García Domene, Councilor for Health and Consumption, Valencia City Council
- Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) Authorities
- Emb. Adam E. Namm, Executive Secretariat of the Inter-American Drug Abuse Control Commission (CICAD)
Welcome / Introduction:
- Jimena Kalawski Isla, Chief of Demand Reduction, CICAD/OAS
- Juan Carlos Valderrama Zurián, University of Valencia, Spain
- Bartolomé Perez-Galvez, Miguel Hernández University, Alicante, Spain
- Pernell Clarke, Inter-American Observatory on Drugs (OID) - CICAD
- Collette Kirlew, National Council on Drug Abuse (NCDA), Jamaica
- Roberta Caixeta, Advisor on NCD Surveillance, Prevention and Control, PAHO
- Phoenix Recovery Project, Guyana: Samantha Young
- National Drug Board, Uruguay: Luis González Kellis
- Dr. Luis Alfonzo Bello, Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)
For other cities, check the time in the following link