PAHO Webinar Series: Tackling Noncommunicable Diseases (NCDs), risk factors and mental health during the time of COVID-19
Mental Health and the COVID-19 Pandemic
On Tuesday, 27 April, 2021, join us on the webinar "Mental Health and the COVID-19 Pandemic", as part of the PAHO Webinar Series "Tackling Noncommunicable Diseases (NCDs), risk factors and mental health during the time of COVID-19"
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the mental health of populations and mental health systems and services in the Region is profound and will likely endure long after the pandemic. In order to address the increased need for mental health services during and after the pandemic, countries in the Region must establish comprehensive and multisectoral mental health responses to COVID-19.
The webinar will present the mental health situation in the Region during the pandemic, as well as its implications for the future, and offer recommendations for achieving multisectoral mental health responses to COVID-19.
To present the impact of COVID-19 on the mental health of populations and mental health systems and services in the Region of the Americas during the pandemic and future plans for the post-pandemic period
To outline strategies and recommendations for working towards a multisectoral approach to MHPSS coordination and interventions and strengthening mental health systems in the Region of the Americas;
To present countries' experiences in addressing mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
To advocate for the prioritization of mental health in the political agenda in the Region.
- DATE: Tuesday, 27 April, 2021
- TIME 11:00 am- 12:30 pm (EDT) [check the time correspondence in your area at the bottom of the page]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_0HErJgVsQ66FZ0MBk3ns-A
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar
- If the capacity of the virtual room is exceeded, you can follow the session on the PAHO YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da8KKosJ-C4
- LANGUAGE: The session will be in English and Spanish, with simultaneous translation to both languages.
NOTE: International Sign language interpretation and closed captioning (English and Spanish) will also be offered during the event.
- Dr. Anselm Hennis. Opening remarks
- Dr. Juana Herrera Araúz. Mental Health approach during the COVID-19 pandemic (in Spanish)
- Dr. Dévora Kestel. Mental Health preparedness and response during the COVID-19 pandemic
Moderator: Dr. Anselm Hennis, Director, Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health
- 11:00 – 11:10 a.m. Opening Remarks
Dr. Anselm Hennis, Director, Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health
- 11:10 – 11:25 a.m. Country’s experience in addressing mental health during the COVID-19 pandemic
The Honourable Dr. Terrence Deyalsingh, Minister of Health of Trinidad and Tobago
- 11:25 – 11:40 a.m. Experience of Panama and the actions put in place to address the Mental Health needs during times of pandemic
Dr. Juana Herrera. Chief of the mental health section. General Directorate of Health, Ministry of Health, Panama
- 11:40 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Presentation of global impact of COVID on mental health and current global initiatives
Dr. Dévora Kestel, Director, Department of Mental Health and Substance Use, WHO
- 12:00 – 12:25 p.m. Discussion
- 12:25 – 12:30 p.m. Closing remarks
- Dr. Anselm Hennis
Please check this page often to see updates on the agenda and more.
- 8:00 am.– Los Angeles
- 9:00 am – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 10:00 am– Kingston, Mexico City, Panamá City
- 11:00 am – Bridgetown, Castries, Georgetown, Nassau, Port of Spain, San Juan, Washington DC
- 12:00 pm. – Brasilia, Paramaribo
- 5:00 pm. – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link