On Monday 28 June, 2021, from 12.00 to 13.30 hours (EDT) the Pan American Health Organization will held the webinar "SCALA Project: Implementing an Intervention for Alcohol Use Disorders in Latin America", as part of the activities on the Mental Health and Substance Use Unit, of the Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health.
The objective of the session is to discuss the challenges of conducting a study of a scaled-up implementation of an intervention package to prevent and manage alcohol problems in primary health care (PHC) in Latin America and the possibility of its dissemination in this Region. It is aimed to health professionals, public health managers in primary care centers, technicians, students and the general population with interest in the subject of alcohol.
How to participate
- DATE: Monday, 28 June, 2021
- TIME: 12.00 - 1:30 pm EDT [check the time correspondence in your area at the bottom of the page]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/j/87470952132?pwd=Q3BrR2Jlc2FwRXNzM3o4anhlUVJZUT09
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar
- LANGUAGE: The session will be in English and Spanish, with simultaneous translation to both languages.
The SCALA Project (Scale-up of Prevention and Management of Alcohol Use Disorders and Comorbid Depression in Latin America) is a 4-year H2020 project which created and evaluated the scaled-up implementation of a tailored intervention package through a quasi-experimental study especially designed for primary health care to prevent and manage alcohol problems and co-morbid depression in three countries of Latin America: Colombia, Peru and México.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation program under Grant Agreement no. 778048. It included PAHO/WHO Collaborating Centers in Mexico, Canada and Universities in Peru and Colombia, with whom PAHO also collaborates.
Agenda and Presentations
(Click on the title of each presentation to download them. Each one is on the original language in which they were presented)
Moderator: Maristela G Monteiro, Senior Advisor on Alcohol, NMH/MH
- 12:00 pm – Welcome and contextualization of the topic within the framework of PAHO / WHO priorities
Maristela Monteiro, Senior Advisor on Alcohol, NMH/MH, PAHO
- 12:05 pm – Introduction to Panelists
- 12:10 pm – Preventing heavy drinking through primary health care - the SCALA approach.
- Peter Anderson, University of Newcastle, UK and University of Maastricht, Netherlands.
- 12:20 pm –SCALA in the global context: Implementation of screening and brief interventions, costs and benefits.
- Jürgen Rehm, senior scientist, Center for Addiction and Mental Health, PAHO/WHO Collaborating Center, Toronto, Canada.
- 12:30 pm – SCALA in Colombia: challenges and achievements
- Augusto Pérez and Juliana Mejía, Nuevos Rumbos, Colombia.
- 12:40 pm – Telemedicine and brief intervention of alcohol use disorders in primary care in times of COVID: SCALA project in Peru.
- Marina Piazza and Inés Bustamante, Universidad Peruana Cayetano Heredia.
- 12:50 pm – From theory to practice, lessons learned. The SCALA experience of Mexico.
- Guillermina Natera and Perla Medina, PAHO/WHO Collaborating Center Instituto Nacional de Psiquiatria Ramon de la Fuente Muniz, Mexico D.F., Mexico.
- 13:00 pm – Outlook: beyond the implementation period
- Peter Anderson, University of Maastricht, Netherlands.
- 13:05 pm – Questions and answers
- 13:25 pm – Closing remarks
- Maristela G Monteiro
- 9:00 am – Los Angeles
- 10:00 am – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 11:00 am– Kingston, Mexico City, Panamá City
- 12:00 pm.– Bridgetown, Castries, Georgetown, Nassau, Port of Spain, San Juan, Washington DC
- 13:00 pm. – Brasilia, Paramaribo
- 6:00 pm. – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link