PAHO Webinar Series: Tackling Noncommunicable Diseases (NCDs), risk factors and mental health during the time of COVID-19
Universal Health Coverage and Sustainable Financing for Mental Health: Facing the COVID-19 Pandemic and Building Back Better
On Tuesday, 27 July 2021, PAHO will host the webinar "Universal Health Coverage and Sustainable Financing for Mental Health: Facing the COVID-19 Pandemic and Building Back Better ", fifth session of the PAHO Webinar Series "Tackling Noncommunicable Diseases (NCDs), risk factors and mental health during the time of COVID-19".
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the mental health of populations and mental health systems and services in the Region is profound and will likely endure long after the pandemic. Mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) is an essential component of emergency preparedness, response and recovery and should be integrated into national COVID-19 response plans. However, data from the Americas show that while 93% of countries in the region include MHPPS in their COVID-19 response plans, a mere 7% report having full funding in their government budgets for the MHPSS response component.
The webinar will present the justification for scaling up and financing mental health based on the current mental health situation in the region and provide examples of mental health financing mechanisms.
The objectives of this session are:
- To make the case for scaling up mental health in the region during COVID-19 and in the post-pandemic period;
- To present important initiatives of mental health financing mechanisms;
- To highlight the benefits of sustainable investment in mental health.
- DATE: Tuesday, 27 July 2021
- TIME: 11:00 am- 12:30 pm (EDT) [check the time correspondence in your area at the bottom of the page]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_UBMPO3cRSjq3q9vhXXU0Pw
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar
- If the capacity of the virtual room is exceeded, you can follow the session on the PAHO YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/pahotv
- LANGUAGES: The session will be in English and Spanish, with simultaneous translation to both languages.
NOTE: International Sign language interpretation and closed captioning (English and Spanish) will also be offered during the event.
Please check this page often to see updates on the agenda and more.
|Moderator: Dr. Renato Oliveira e Souza, Unit Chief, Mental Health and Substance Unit, Pan American Health Organization|
|11:00am - 11:05 am||Welcome Remarks||Dr. Anselm Hennis, Director, Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health, Pan American Health Organization|
|11:05am - 11:25am||The Burden of Mental Health and Mental Health Financing in the Americas||Dr. Daniel Vigo, Assistant Professor. Department of Psychiatry. University of British Columbia|
|11:25am - 11:45am||Financing Mental Health: The Experience of Costa Rica||Dr. Alejandra Acuña Navarro, Vice Minister of Health, Ministry of Health of Costa Rica|
|11:45am - 12:05pm||Financing Mental Health: The Experience of Guyana||TBD|
|12:05pm - 12:25pm||Q & A|
|12:25pm - 12:30pm||Closing Remarks||Dr. Renato Oliveira e Souza, Unit Chief, Mental Health and Substance Unit, Pan American Health Organization|
- 8:00 am – Los Angeles
- 9:00 am – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 10:00 am – Bogotá, Kingston, Mexico City, Panamá City, Lima, Quito
- 11:00 am – Bridgetown, Castries, Georgetown, Nassau, Port of Spain, San Juan, Washington DC
- 12:00 pm – Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Paramaribo
- 5:00 pm – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link