Participate in the “1st International Conference on Promotion of Physical Activity in Public Health” from 22 to 23 November 2022, from 7:00 to 11:00 am [EST] / 9:00 am to 1:00 pm (Brasília time), held by the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) in collaboration with the Ministry of Health of Brazil, through the General Coordination of Physical Activity Promotion and Intersectoral Actions.
This event intends to promote the sharing of technical and scientific information on the advancements and challenges of promoting physical activity in public health, with an emphasis on Primary Health Care.
Disseminate technical-scientific information and promote the exchange of national and international experiences in the promotion of physical activity in public health, aiming to help build integrated approaches to increase the levels of population physical activity in the countries, with an emphasis on Primary Health Care services.
- To exchange knowledge about the international and national recommendations for the promotion of physical activity;
- To encourage the debate and identification of effective strategies to promote physical activity in Primary Health Care.;
- To expand knowledge of research and studies on physical activity in Primary Health Care.;
- To mobilize focal points in the Ministries of Health of the countries to articulate a network to strengthen, promote and support physical activity, with leadership from the health sector;
- To identify advancements and challenges of the physical activity agenda in Primary Health Care. in the world;
- To encourage dialogue on how current global issues impact Primary Health Care. work and, in particular, on physical activity actions;
- To build consensus and a letter of intent to support and strengthen actions to promote physical activity in public health, with an emphasis on Primary Health Care.
- Technical report of the 1st International Conference on Physical Activity Promotion in Public Health;
- Letter of intentions to support the strengthening and qualification of physical activity promotion in public health, with an emphasis on Primary Health Care.;
- Agree on the elaboration and publication of a document with Good Practices in the Promotion of Physical Activity in Public Health from the participating countries.
How to participate
- DATE: 22-23 November 2022
- TIME: 7:00 to 11:00 am [EST] / 9:00 am to 1:00 pm (Brasília time) [see time correspondence below]
- REGISTER: https://www.ciafbrasil.com/en
- LANGUAGE: Portuguese, Spanish and English with simultaneous translation
Regular physical activity contributes to the prevention and treatment of Chronic Noncommunicable Diseases (NCDs), such as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, diabetes, and breast and colon cancer, as well as contributing to the reduction of symptoms of various mental disorders, such as anxiety and depression. Moreover, physical activity helps to prevent and reduce overweight and obesity and to promote health, contributing to a better quality of life and well-being for people.
In Brazil, 48.2% of adults 18 years and over and living in the capital cities and the Federal District are insufficiently active, a prevalence higher than that of the Americas region (39.3%) and the global region (27.5%). Given this scenario, governmental actions are required to increase the levels of physical activity and, consequently, reduce social costs and negative impacts on the health systems, the environment, economic development, well-being, and the quality of life of the population.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has pointed out the need for countries to develop integrated approaches to increase the physical activity levels of the population, including actions towards the creation of active environments, since physical inactivity does not result only from individual choices and is related, among other factors, to social and economic inequalities.
Physical activity, specifically inserted in Primary Health Care, has the role of contributing to the resolution of health problems of the population. In addition, it is a crucial action for the demands of diagnosis, treatment, recovery, rehabilitation, prevention, and health promotion is an essential component for the integrality of care. In this sense, investing in physical activity actions within health systems is strategic for health promotion and to prevent of NCDs, consequently reducing health care costs.
The Brazilian Ministry of Health, through the General Coordination of Physical Activity Promotion and Intersectoral Actions, created in 2019 has the assignment of instituting and coordinating public policies for physical activity in the Primary Health Care setting.
Considering the WHO recommendations and the potential of the exchange of national and international experiences to contribute to the development of integrated approaches to increase the levels of physical activity in the countries, it is of utmost importance to hold the 1st International Conference on Physical Activity Promotion in Public Health to promote the sharing of technical and scientific information on the advancements and challenges of promoting physical activity in public health, with emphasis on Primary Health Care.
Representatives of Ministries of Health from different countries, health managers, health professionals, researchers, students, civil society organizations, and others interested in the topic.
- 4:00 am – Los Angeles
- 5:00 am – Calgary
- 6:00 am – Belmopan, Mexico City, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 7:00 am – Bogota, Panama City, Kingston, Lima, Quito, Washington DC, Havana, Nassau, Port-au-Prince
- 8:00 am – Bridgetown, Caracas, Castries, Georgetown, La Paz, Port Spain, Santo Domingo, San Juan
- 9:00 am – Asuncion, Buenos Aires, Brasilia, Santiago, Montevideo, Paramaribo
- 1:00 pm – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link