Join us in the meeting "Facing together the challenges of the Second Decade of Action for Road Safety 2021-2030 in Latin America and the Caribbean" convened by the Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health, and the Office of the Legal Counsel. The meeting will take place virtually on Wednesday, 18 May, from 9:00 to 11:30 a.m. (EDT).
The meeting will provide a space to share reflections of key stakeholders working to implement the safe system approach to road safety in the Latin American and Caribbean Region, through an open, respectful, and purposeful dialogue, including the need to strengthen and harmonize the supportive legal framework. From this dialogue, collaboration opportunities can be identified to enhance efforts and be more successful in road safety.
This meeting will be attended by authorities representing leading agencies of road safety, representatives of the ministries of health and other governmental agencies related with road safety, as well as parliamentarians, city mayors and representatives of civil society organizations working on road safety from the Region.
History has shown that when different actors with common objectives join forces great advances in road safety can be achieved. This is important in the face of the significant challenges involved in achieving the ambitious, but realistic and necessary, targets set as part of the new Decade of Action for Road Safety 2021-2030, where the need to go beyond good intentions and political discourses to the successful implementation of key actions with proven evidence of being effective has been identified.
How to participate
- DATE: Wednesday, 18 May, 2022
- TIME: 9:00 – 11:30 AM EDT [check below the local time in other cities]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/j/89718603665
- LANGUAGES: The webinar will be in English, Spanish and Portuguese, with interpretation to all languages.
- 09:00-09:10 a.m. - Welcoming remarks
- Dr. Anselm Hennis, Director of the Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health, Pan-American Health Organization.
- Dr. Etienne Krug, Director of the Department of Social Determinants for Health, World Health Organization
- 09:10-10:10 a.m. - Challenges of the new Decade of Action for Road Safety 2021-2030 in the Americas Region
- PAHO/WHO: Ricardo Pérez-Núñez, Regional Advisor on Road Safety and Prevention of Unintentional Injuries at PAHO/WHO.
- Parliamentary Representative: Senator Raymundo Fiad, President of the Health Committee of the Senate of Argentina and President of the Global Parliamentary Network for Road Safety.
- Representative of Road Safety leading agencies from the region: Karina Muñoz Matus, Secretaria Ejecutiva del CONASET-Chile.
- The Global Alliance of NGOs for Road Safety: Mariannette Otero, Director of Global Activities.
- 10:10-10:20 a.m. - Discussion among participants
- 10:20-11:20 a.m0 - Relevant Topics in Road Safety in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Comprehensive road safety legislations and the Parliamentary Network of the Americas for Road Safety. Ignacio Ibarra, Regional Advisor for Health-Related Law, PAHO/WHO.
- Driving successfully legislative initiatives from Civil Society Organizations/Movements: Alejandra Leal and Areli Carreón, the Coalition for Safe Mobility of Mexico (and another speaker TBC).
- Legal and psychological support to victims in Argentina: National Road Safety Agency from Argentina.(speaker TBC)
- Efforts under way to meet the needs of road traffic victims and their relatives: Héctor D’Agostino from FICVI.
- 10:20-10:30 a.m. - Discussion among participants
- 11:30-11:40 a.m. - Proposal of commitments from the participants / declaration signing
- 6:00 am.– Los Angeles, Vancouver
- 7:00 am. – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San Jose (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 8:00 am. – Bogota, Mexico City, Panamá City, Kingston, Lima, Quito
- 9:00 am. – Asunción, Bridgetown, Caracas, Castries, Georgetown, Havana, La Paz, Nassau, Ottawa, Port-au-Prince, Port of Spain, San Juan, Santiago, Santo Domingo, Washington DC
- 10:00 am – Buenos Aires, Brasilia, Montevideo, Paramaribo
- 3:00 pm. – Geneve, Madrid
For other cities, check the local time in the following link.