On Thursday, 27 May 2021, from 7:00 to 8:30 am (EDT), join us in the webinar “Lessons For Alcohol Policy From The Coronavirus Crisis”, a joint event organized by the World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe, Movendi International, NCD Alliance and the Pan American Organization.
The coronavirus crisis has brought into sharp focus the burden alcohol harms place on health systems in particular and societies in general. The pandemic has also shown that evidence-based alcohol policy interventions are impactful in protecting people and promoting health system functioning. But the alcohol industry is also attempting to exploit the crisis for their commercial benefits. Major reports have provided unique and timely insights into these lethal interactions between alcohol and COVID-19.
This event aims to take stock of the state of the art of global and regional experiences and knowledge around alcohol and the pandemic.
It maps the needs for addressing alcohol harm going forward. What’s the role of alcohol prevention and control for building back better in the coming months and years? This event will provide key insights and chart the way forward.
How to participate
- DATE: Thursday, 27 May, 2021
- TIME: 7:00 to 8:30 am (EDT) [see time correspondence below]
- REGISTER: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYrcO-oqDguG9HyKv1tCJitXBA_4mF2MtrC
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar.
- LANGUAGE: The session will be in English and Spanish, with simultaneous translation.
- Opening: Kristina Sperkova – International President, Movendi International
Dr Anselm Hennis – Director NCDs and Mental Health, Pan American Health Organization
The Americas situation: Alcohol consumption, harm and policy in the region.
Lessons from the COVID-19.
Dr Maristela Monteiro – Senior Advisor on Alcohol and Substance Abuse, Pan American Health Organization
- The European situation: Alcohol consumption, harm, policy in the region.
Lessons from the COVID-19.
Dr Carina Ferreira-Borges – Acting Head of the WHO European Office for
the Prevention and Control of NCDs
- The global situation: Alcohol & COVID-19
Key findings from the report Lethal interaction between alcohol and the coronavirus.
Per Leimar – Alcohol Policy Advisor, IOGT-NTO , Sweden
- Signaling virtue: Big Alcohol and the pandemic. Key findings from the “Signaling virtue” report.
Lucy Westerman – Policy and Campaigns Manager, NCD Alliance
- Kenya’s plans and needs for alcohol policy development
Dr Mercy Wacera Karanja – Focal Person, Substance Use Management, Ministry of Health, Kenya
- Sri Lanka’s plans and needs for alcohol policy development.
Dr Rohan Ratnayake – Director, Directorate of Mental Health, Ministry of Health, Sri Lanka
- Addressing alcohol harm to promote healthier and stronger recovery after COVID-19
Michele Cecchini – Senior Health Policy Analyst, Project Leader Public Health, OECD
- Final panel remarks
- 5:00 am.– Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 6:00 am. – Kingston, Mexico City, Panamá City
- 7:00 am. – Bridgetown, Castries, Georgetown, Nassau, Port-au-Prince, Port of Spain, San Juan, Washington DC
- 8:00 am. – Brasilia, Paramaribo
- 1:00 pm. – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link