We warmly invite you to us for the webinar “Treatment and recovery from alcohol dependence in the Americas” on Monday, 29 November, from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm (EST).
Scope and purpose
Alcohol consumption is one of the leading risk factors for ill-health globally and in the Americas. Of the approximately 107 million people globally who have an alcohol use disorder, fewer than 10% receive appropriate care due to numerous barriers, including fear of treatment, privacy concerns, stigma, time conflicts, and limited availability of treatment. The prevalence of Alcohol Use Disorders (AUD) in the Americas is the highest in the world among women and the second highest among men. The overall treatment gap for alcohol dependence is close to 80%, the highest among all mental disorders.
The webinar is aimed at discussing the gaps and needs in alcohol dependence treatment in the Americas, also including the role of non-professional mutual aid groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous. Our target audience includes members of the public, healthcare professionals and government and third-sector professionals working in areas related to alcohol.
How to participate
- DATE: Monday, 29 November 2021
- TIME: 1:00 pm to 3:00 (EST) [see time correspondence below]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_QSS7IhZnSae0De6a5GOiUQ
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar.
The session will be available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese with simultaneous interpretation.
- 1:00 – 1:05 PM Welcome
- Dr. Renato Oliveira e Souza, Unit Chief, Mental Health and Substance Use, PAHO
- 1:05 – 1:20 PM What do we know about alcohol treatment efficacy?
- Dr. Tom Babor, Professor and Chair, Department of Community Medicine and Public Health, University of Connecticut
- 1:20 – 1:30 PM What are the gaps in treatment coverage globally?
- Dr. Vladimir Poznyak, Unit Head of Alcohol, Drugs and Addictive Behaviours, WHO Headquarters, Geneva
- 1:30 – 1:45 PM Recovery in Alaska
- Tiffany Hall, Executive Director, Recovery Alaska
- 1:45 – 2:00 PM Recovery for Women in Brazil
- Grazi Santoro, Founder, Women in Recovery, Brazil
- 2:00 – 2:45 PM What is A.A. and how can it serve as a resource for professionals and their alcoholic clients?
- Dr. Al J. Mooney, General Service Board of A.A. U.S./Canada
- Maria Z (Brazil), A.A. Member
- Paz P. (USA), A.A. Member
- 2:45 – 2:55 PM Questions and Answers
- Moderator: Jacqueline MacDiarmid, International Consultant, PAHO
- 2:55 – 3:00 PM Closing Remarks and Thank you
- Dr. Maristela Monteiro, Senior Advisor on Alcohol and Substance Abuse, PAHO
- 10:00 am. Los Angeles
- 12:00 am. – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, Mexico City, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 1:00 pm – Bogota, Panama City, Havana, Lima, Nassau, Port-au-Prince, Quito, Washington DC
- 2:00 pm. – Bridgetown, Castries, Georgetown, Kingston, Port of Spain, San Juan
- 3:00 pm. – Asunción, Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Paramaribo, Santiago
- 7:00 pm. – Copenhagen, Geneva, Madrid
- 9:00 pm. – Moscow
For other cities, check the time in the following link. Make sure that you select the date of the event as many countries are changing the time in this time of the year, but the change happens in different weeks.