The Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health (NMH) will host the webinar "Estimating alcohol-caused harm and modelling alcohol policy scenarios in PAHO member states", Thursday, 9 Septembert 2021, at 2:00 to 3:00 pm (EDT).
The International Model of Alcohol Harms and Policies (InterMAHP; www.intermahp.cisur.ca) is an open access platform that would assist alcohol research teams in PAHO member states towards alcohol harms estimation and policy scenario modeling. This allows countries, regions and cities to calculate alcohol-caused health harms and project the potential impact of alcohol policy implementations.
The Canadian Substance Use Costs and Harms (CSUCH) project is a national study towards estimating alcohol- and substance-use caused harms and economic impacts across Canadian provinces. An overview will be given, with a focus on InterMAHP-based modeling, which drives the alcohol-caused death and disability modeling.
This webinar builds on a previous PAHO webinar held in October 2020, which can be found here. This webinar will be in two parts. The first will introduce InterMAHP, its capabilities and provide international examples of its use. The second presentation will introduce the aims and results of the CSUCH project, with a focus on how InterMAHP is used in the estimation and results creation. The webinar will build towards a two-day workshop, which will be available to select PAHO member states later this year.
The target audience of this webinar is researchers from the PAHO region who will be designing and implementing alcohol-related studies. High level questions will also be covered for potential program funders, ie. policymakers and other interested parties.
- Dr. Adam Sherk is a fellow at the Canadian Institute for Substance Use Research at the University of Victoria, Canada. His research involves estimating alcohol-attributable harm, health economics and the impact of policy on drinking and harm. InterMAHP has been used to estimate alcohol-caused harms in Canada, Sweden, Finland, Switzerand, Australia and New Zealand, as well as provinces, states, and cities.
- Dr. Tim Stockwell is a Scientist at the Canadian Institute for Substance Use Research and professor of psychology at the University of Victoria. Tim has published over 250 peer-reviewed scientific articles in alcohol policy and alcohol epidemiology. He is a winner of the international Jellinek Memorial Award in alcohol studies and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada. He is co-PI of the Canadian Substance Use Costs and Harms (CSUCH) project.
How to participate
- DATE: Thursday, September 9, 2021
- TIME: 2:00 - 3:00 pm (EDT) [check the time correspondence in your area at the bottom of the page]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ln34YqXVTieRdWMHFY2OvA
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar
- LANGUAGE: The session will be in English and Spanish with simultaneous translation in both languages.
|2:00 - 2:05 pm||Welcome and Introduction||Dr. Maristela G Monteiro, Senior Advisor on Alcohol, NMH/MH, PAHO|
|2:05 - 2:25 pm||Introduction of InterMAHP, its capabilities and international examples of its use||Dr. Adam Sherk, CISUR|
|2:20 - 2:40 pm||Aims and results of the Canadian Substance Use Costs and Harms (CSUCH) project, with a focus on how InterMAHP is used in the estimation and results creation||
Dr. Tim Stockwell, CISUR
|2:40 - 2:55 pm||Q & A|
|2:55 - 3:00 pm||Closing remarks||Dr. Maristela G Monteiro, Senior Advisor on Alcohol, NMH/MH, PAHO|
- 11:00 am – Los Angeles
- 12:00 pm – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 1:00 pm – Bogotá, Kingston, Mexico City, Panamá City, Lima, Quito
- 2:00 pm – Bridgetown, Castries, Georgetown, Nassau, Port of Spain, San Juan, Washington DC
- 3:00 pm – Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, Paramaribo
- 8:00 pm – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link