About the webinar:
As part of the Mental Health and Psychosocial Support (MHPS)/COVID-19 Webinar Series, the PAHO Caribbean Subregional Program Coordination Office and the Mental Health Unit at the Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health, invites you to join this Webex meeting titled “MHPSS/COVID-19 series: A Closer Look at the Needs of Older Adults”, to be held on Thursday, 2 July, 2020, from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm EDT. The session will be in English.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE
- DATE: Thursday, 26 June, 2020
- TIME: 10:00 - 12.00 pm (EDT) [see at the time correspondence at the bottom of the page]
- REGISTER: Click on the following button to register. After your request has been approved, you'll receive instructions for joining the meeting. If you already registered for this meeting, you do not need to register again
Why this is important:
The older population is incredibly diverse. Most older adults are capable of coping and adapting, despite the increased likelihood of declining capacity as they age, and contribute immeasurably to their families and communities in various roles. Given their strong community ties, older adults are well placed to communicate messages and provide mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) to their peers and families. However, older adults are also at higher of developing more severe symptoms of COVID-19, and of dying as a result. Older adults may have limited access to accurate information and are more likely to fall victim to misinformation about the COVID-19 pandemic; while the stress and social isolation associated with measures put in place to contain COVID-19 may exacerbate underlying mental health or neurological conditions, which may have impacts on psychosocial well-being and/or worsen cognitive decline. This webinar will provide an opportunity to take a closer look at the needs of this diverse group during the COVID-19 pandemic, including a discussion of good mental health and brain health, and an overview of WHO/PAHO resources and communication materials.
Public health officials, health care workers, decision makers, older adults, caregivers, general population.
- COVID-19 and older adults: good mental and brain health. Katrin Seeher and Stéfanie Fréel, Brain Health Unit, WHO Department of Mental Health and Substance Use.
- PAHO communication materials for older adults in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic. Claudina Cayetano. Advisor, Mental Health, PAHO.
Questions & Answers, and discussion. Elisa Prieto. Advisor, NCD and Mental Health, PAHO.
- 07:00 am. - Los Ángeles
- 08:00 am. - San Salvador, Tegucigalpa, San José
- 09:00 am.- Bogotá, Ciudad de México, Kingston, Lima, Quito
- 10:00 am.- Brigdetown, Caracas, La Paz, Nassau, Port of Spain, Santiago de Chile, Santo Domingo
- 11:00 am.- Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Montevideo
For other cities, you can check the time correspondance in the following link