The Pan American Health Organization invites you to participate virtually in the launch of the new Virtual Course on Preventing Self-harm/Suicide: Empowering Primary Healthcare Providers. The launch will be on Tuesday, 9 July, 2019, at ww:00 AM (Washington, D.C. time).
- DATE: Tuesday, 9 July 2019
- TIME: 11:00 AM (EDT)
(this session was only in Spanish)
- Overview of the Online Course. Claudina Cayetano, Advisor on Mental Health, PAHO
- Learning Resources of the PAHO Virtual Campus of Public Health. Ing. Edgardo de Gracia, Virtual Campus of Public Health, PAHO
The human and economic costs of suicidal behavior to individuals, families, communities and society make suicide a serious public health problem around the world. Suicides are preventable, early detection and effective management are crucial to ensuring that people receive the care that they need.
This online course is based on the suicide module of the WHO mhGAP Intervention Guide- which offers high quality foundational knowledge and practice to non-specialized health workers, to enhance their capacity to identify, assess, manage and provide follow up to people with suicidal behaviors. This self-paced course available on the PAHO Virtual Campus for Public Health (VCPH) platform provides both flexibility and accessibility to potential learners.
- 11:00 am.- Welcome remarks. Unit Chief a.i., Mental Health and Substance Abuse, PAHO
- 11:15 am.- Overview of the Online Course. Claudina Cayetano, Advisor on Mental Health, PAHO
- 11:35 am.- Learning Resources of the PAHO Virtual Campus of Public Health. Ing. Edgardo de Gracia, Virtual Campus of Public Health, PAHO
- 11:45 am.- Questions and Answers
- 12:00 pm.- Closing remarks, Dr. Andrea Bruni, Sub-Regional Advisor in Mental Health for South America, PAHO
Moderator: Dr. Luis Alfonzo, Regional Advisor on Substance Abuse and Public Health, PAHO
- 8:00 am - Los Angeles
- 9:00 am - San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 10:00 am - Bogotá, Lima, México City, Quito, Kingston
- 11:00 pm - Bridgetown, La Paz, Sto. Domingo, Santiago de Chile
- 12:00 pm - Brasilia, Buenos Aires,
For other cities, you can estimate the time correspondance in the following link
Acces to the course
The link to the course in Spanish is available in the following link: