On Wednesday, 11 December 2019, join us for the last session of the Alcohol and Health Webinar Series, titled "Alcohol indicators: purpose, meaning, measurement and uses in public health", presented by Dr. Kevin Shield.
Dr Shield will describe the main alcohol indicators used to monitor alcohol consumption, harms and policies, how they are measured, the pros and cons of each, and how they can be used for public policy decisions
- DAY: Wednesday, 11 December 2019
- TIME: 12:30 PM EST
- REGISTER: http://eepurl.com/gfTHYT
Dr Kevin Shield is a Scientist and Director of PAHO/WHO Collaborating Center from Toronto, Canada, the Center for Addiction and Mental Health. He will describe the main alcohol indicators used to monitor alcohol consumption, harms and alcohol policies, how they are measured, the merits and limitations of various sources of data, appropriate survey questions to use for a given purpose and how they can be used for public policy decisions.
Recent trends in alcohol consumption globally and in the Americas will be presented to show the competing trends underlying them. The usefulness of drinking guidelines and the challenges of communicating them will be also discussed.
- WHO Global Status Report on Alcohol and Health 2018
- Probst et al. Unrecorded alcohol use: a global modelling study based on nominal group assessments and survey data. Addiction 113, 1231- 1241, 2018
- Probst et al. Coverage of alcohol consumption by national surveys in South Africa. Addiction 112: 705-710, 2016
- The Burden of Alcohol in the Americas
- Mental Health & Substance Abuse (PAHO)
- 9:30 am - Los Angeles
- 10.30 am - Calgary, Ciudad Juárez, Edmonton, Phoenix
- 11:30 am - Mexico City, San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 12:30 am - Bogotá, Lima, Quito,
- 1:30 pm - Bridgetown, Kingston, La Paz, Sto. Domingo
- 2:30 pm - Brasilia, Buenos Aires, Santiago de Chile
For other cities, you can estimate the time in the following link.
Alcohol and Health Webinar Series
The Mental Health and Substance Abuse Unit will be coordinating a series of webinars on Alcohol and Health throughout 2019. The webinar series is aimed at disseminating up-to-date and accurate information about alcohol epidemiology, harms, policies and research in the Region of the Americas and globally, which in turn can be used for advocacy, policy development and implementation.