The Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) and the Healthy Caribbean Coalition (HCC) are organizing on Friday September 25th, at 10:00 am EDT, the webinar “Re-opening Schools: Shared perspectives on navigating mental health during COVID-19”. The objective is to explore the mental health concerns of key actors within schools as they reopen across the Region and to discuss strategies to cultivate school ecosystems that support positive mental health and well-being.
How to participate
- DATE: Friday, 25 September, 2020
- TIME: 10:00 am (EDT) [see below the time correspondence]
- REGISTER: Click on the following button to register.
Click here for registration link
The COVID-19 pandemic has radically transformed schooling as we know it – largely shutting down traditional face to face education and forcing children, teachers and parents to struggle with an entirely new world of virtual learning. Significant uncertainty still looms as educational institutions across the Caribbean prepare for the 20/21 academic year.
We are already beginning to see the negative mental health impacts of the pandemic on students and teachers in the school community. Guidance counselors designated to provide in-school support may be ill-equipped to handle the anticipated rise in mental health issues experienced by children. Parents and caregivers have been highlighted as key actors in this new school system serving their role as a parent while also navigating virtual learning / homeschooling and providing holistic support for their children during this time.
All of these challenges are further exacerbated for children living with disabilities who very often require face to face, hands on support from highly trained professionals. The loss of this specialized care is having devastating emotional impacts on the children, families and their teachers.
This is a new and challenging space for many, and discussions that highlight concerns and guide strategies that will support positive mental health and wellbeing are critical.
- Dr. Elisa Prieto - Caribbean Subregional NCD and Mental Health Advisor, PAHO
- Mr. Pierre Cooke Jr - HCC Youth Technical Advisor
- Dr. Eldonna Boisson - Epidemiologist PAHO Advisor, Disease Surveillance and Epidemiology
- Dr. Claudina Cayetano - Psychiatrist, PAHO Mental Health Regional Advisor (NMH/MH)
- Ms. Harriet Liddie - Counsellor, Antiguan Ministry of Education, Science & Technology
- Mrs. Nekeisha Reid - Parent
- Ms. Jara Emtage-Cave - Student, 6th Form Graduate
- 07:00 am. - Los Angeles
- 08:00 am. - Belmopan,
- 09:00 am.- Kingston
- 10:00 am.- Brigdetown, Caracas, La Paz, Nassau, Port of Spain, Washington DC.
- 11:00 am.- Paramaribo
For other cities, you can check the time correspondance in the following link