Bridgetown, Barbados, 16 August 2021 (PAHO) - Immediately following the eruption of the La Soufriere volcano in St. Vincent and the Grenadines on the 9th of April 2021, PAHO activated its Incident Management Support Team and Health Emergency Operations Center in Barbados and in St. Vincent and the Grenadines.
Two days after the eruption, PAHO had personnel on the ground to support the Ministry of Health, with others on standby for rapid deployment.
In collaboration with national authorities, we have:
- Monitored disease outbreaks
- Maintained essential health services
- Assessed damage of health facilities
- Provided Water Quality Assessments
- Supported shelter management
- Provided essential supplies and equipment
- Provided Mental Health and Psychosocial support
- Organized International health response
- Provided health communication materials including over 30 situation reports
This video was produced to highlight PAHO's response: