The Pan American Health Organization/World Health Organization (PAHO/WHO) Office for Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean Countries (ECC) recently assisted the government of Antigua and Barbuda in their fight against COVID-19.
PAHO presented the Ministry of Health with a five-seater 2020 Kia Seltos.
In expressing his appreciation for the donation, the Hon. Molwyn Joseph, Minister of Health, Wellness and the Environment, had this to say. “This donation will certainly help to continue the Government of Antigua and Barbuda’s surveillance and contact tracing efforts for the COVID-19 response, including early detection, screening, follow-up and management of COVID-19 cases.
“Additionally, as we enter the Hurricane season, the vehicle will also be able to support and respond to other health emergencies and support disease surveillance activities of any new or existing health challenges. Hence, this vehicle will be part of the national response for years to come.”
Representative to the PAHO/WHO Office for Barbados and the ECC, Dr. Yitades Gebre, stated that PAHO leads strategic collaborative efforts among member states and other partners. “The objective is to promote equity in health, combat disease and to improve the quality of, and lengthen, the lives of the peoples of the Americas.”
Other support provided by PAHO/WHO to the Government of Antigua and Barbuda includes:
- Technical assistance to assess country readiness for COVID-19 and training for health care workers on different aspects of the response
- Guidelines and Protocols in the response to the COVID 19 Pandemic
- Numerous PCR Lab Testing consumables, inclusive of over reagents, to the Ministry of Health, to support screening, early detection and management of cases
- Thousands of Personal Protective Equipment for use by Health Care Workers
- Risk Communication Banners and Posters for the ports of entry
Dr. Gebre reiterated PAHO’s commitment to Antigua and Barbuda and other member countries. “PAHO/WHO stands resolute and in Solidarity with all countries as we work with you in your response efforts to the COVID-19 pandemic. Our goal is to assist in the prevention and control of the spread of COVID-19, inclusive of the prevention of infection among health care workers. PAHO/WHO applauds the efforts of all Health Care workers and remains committed to continuing to provide the much-needed guidance and support in the response to the COVID-19 Pandemic.”