PAHO Webinar Series: Tackling Noncommunicable Diseases (NCDs), risk factors and mental health during the time of COVID-19
Addressing prevention and control of NCD risk factors in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic
On Tuesday, 29 June, 2021, join us on the webinar "Addressing prevention and control of NCD risk factors in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic: Protecting gains and fostering progress"", as part of the PAHO Webinar Series "Tackling Noncommunicable Diseases (NCDs), risk factors and mental health during the time of COVID-19"
The COVID-19 pandemic has created new challenges for the prevention and control of NCD risk factors due to lockdowns and significant changes in population lifestyles resulting in increased physical inactivity, consumption of unhealthy food products, tobacco use and alcohol abuse. Prevention and control of NCDs are particularly important during this pandemic as these conditions are major risk factors for poor outcomes in patients suffering from COVID-19.
On the other hand, COVID-19 has shown that many of the tools required for fighting a pandemic are also those required to fight NCDs: disease surveillance, a strong civil society, robust public health policies, clear communication, and equitable access to resilient universal health-care systems. COVID-19 could provide new insights for governments to implement stricter tobacco, alcohol, and sugar sweetened beverages and ultraprocessed food products policies, as well as focused investment in improving physical activity and healthy diets. COVID-19 must stimulate far greater political action to overcome inertia around NCDs.
This webinar will discuss the importance of addressing the prevention and control of risk factors of NCDs, strengthening and multisectoral collaborative work towards the promotion and implementation of sustainable public policies tackling NCDs risk factors, and protecting public health interests from industry interference.
- DATE: Tuesday, 29 June, 2021
- TIME 11:00 am- 12:30 pm (EDT) [check the time correspondence in your area at the bottom of the page]
- REGISTER: https://paho-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GIakLtS9TqiWm-npkbNWoA
- After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with information on how to join the webinar
- If the capacity of the virtual room is exceeded, you can follow the session on the PAHO YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/pahotv
- LANGUAGE: The session will be in English and Spanish, with simultaneous translation to both languages.
NOTE: International Sign language interpretation and closed captioning (English and Spanish) will also be offered during the event.
- 11:00 am — Opening Remarks [link]
Dr. Jarbas Barbosa, Assistant Director, PAHO
Dr. Anselm Hennis, Director, Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health
- 11:10 a.m. — Country experiences strengthening prevention and control of NCD risk factors during the time of COVID-19: Mexico and Suriname
Hon. Dr. Amar Ramadhin, Minister of Health of Suriname
Dr. Hugo López- Gatell, Under-Secretary of Prevention and Health Promotion, Ministry of Health, Mexico
- 11:45 a.m. — COVID 19: an opportunity to stimulate political action on NCDs and their risk factors?
Dr. Kelly Henning, Public Health Program Lead, Bloomberg Philanthropies
- 11:55 a.m. — Comments: Perspectives on multisectoral action and collaborative efforts in the prevention and control of NCD risk factors
- 12:10 p.m. — Questions and discussions with participating audience
- 12:25 p.m. — Closing remarks
Dr. Anselm Hennis, Director, Department of Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health, PAHO
Please check this page often to see updates on the agenda and more.
- 8:00 am.– Los Angeles
- 9:00 am – Belmopan, Guatemala City, Managua, San José (CR), San Salvador, Tegucigalpa
- 10:00 am– Kingston, Mexico City, Panamá City
- 11:00 am – Bridgetown, Castries, Georgetown, Nassau, Port of Spain, San Juan, Washington DC
- 12:00 pm. – Brasilia, Paramaribo
- 5:00 pm. – Geneva, Madrid
For other cities, check the time in the following link