Influenza Situation Report
The information presented in this update is based on data provided by Ministries of Health and National Influenza Centers of Member States to the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) or from updates on the Member States' Ministry of Health web pages.
Regional Update EW 21, 2021
- North America: Influenza activity remained low. In Canada, SARS-CoV-2 activity continue elevated but decreasing. In Mexico and in the United States, SARS-CoV-2 activity continue at moderate levels but decreasing.
- Caribbean: Influenza activity remained low. In Haiti, SARS-CoV-2 activity continue elevated and increasing.
- Central America: Influenza activity remained low. In Costa Rica, SARS-CoV-2 activity continue elevated and increasing.
- Andean: Influenza activity remained low. In Bolivia, Colombia and Ecuador, SARS-CoV-2 activity continued elevated.
- Brazil and Southern Cone: Influenza activity remained low. In Argentina, Brazil, Chile and Paraguay, SARS-CoV-2 activity continued elevated and increasing. In Argentina and Paraguay RSV detections continued to increase and co-circulates with SARS-CoV-2.
- Global: In the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere, influenza activity remained below baseline, though detections of influenza B/Victoria lineage slightly increased, especially in China. In the temperate zone of the southern hemisphere, influenza activity remained at inter-seasonal level. In tropical Africa, influenza detections were reported in some countries in Western and Middle Africa. In Southern Asia, influenza detections continued to be reported in India. In South East Asia, no influenza detections were reported. Worldwide, influenza B detections accounted for the majority of the very low numbers of detections reported. Despite continued or even increased testing for influenza in some countries, influenza activity remained at lower levels than expected for this time of the year.